Phoenix - spell variability

Albert Sales drite_mi at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 20 09:50:25 CEST 2003

   I had a strange mod to this one before, at a player's request. We figured that a magic-user must learn each spell level, and as such can cast each EL. With his character, we allowed him to skip buying certain ELs, but his character could not cast them at that EL to save mana. Also, EL was not a factor in his casting speed. He wanted a character who had a bit of innate ability (he rolled an intellectual power), but did not have a full magical understanding. It cost him the usual 250 EP, and had the benefits above (plus all wizardry spells were x2), and the limits above. It worked fairly well at first, but we found it nigh impossible for him to gain new powers in play. We made a small change (that did not work well) that allowed him to use the EP to learn the previous level (and only that one) towards advancing the spell, but losing access to the old EL.

   ANYWAY, I actually do have a magic question:
            The cost to increase a spell uses the formula of Casting cost x (EL+3). What is the cost to increase a BMC 1 from 0 to 1. (The chart and formula are a little non-specific as to if you use the NEXT EL.)

Sylverrs_ dragon <abnaric at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
The way it is supposed to work is that a caster can use a spell at his EL in
it or any EL lower than that. If he is EL5, he can cast at 5, 4, 3, 2, etc.
Rules for refining and alteration (what I see as the meaning of variability)
never made it into the finished product. Started my road through hell, with
AH dumping the game and me, before the spell research concept was ready to
publish. Will be working on the idea in future.