Question for Richard

Kurgan Kurgan at FASTMAIL.FM
Tue Feb 3 04:24:45 CET 2004

Hi Richard,

      I've had a question that I wanted to ask you floating around in
      the back of my head for years, and I finally just remembered to
      ask it. :)

      The question is, what other games, if any, helped influence the
      creation of P&P? I've seen just about every RPG that was on the
      market prior to 1990, and about half of what came later, and I
      can only think of two that I noticed that both bore resemblances
      to various aspects or rules of P&P, and that came before it.
      Those would be Fantasy Wargaming, by Bruce Galloway, which
      purported to be a book *about* gaming, but was actually a
      complete system (did anyone ever actually play this one?), and
      the classic DragonQuest by SPI. Oh yeah, there *was* one other
      game that falls into this category. It was a rare little odd
      duck called Adventures In Fantasy, by a couple of guys I've
      never heard of... <Snicker>

      Did either of those contribute ideas for the final P&P product,
      and were there any other games I didn't mention that did?

      Y'know, if one takes the time to actually read Fantasy
      Wargaming, it's really not too shabby. WAY too heavy on the
      astrology, but if you overlook that, it's actually pretty cool.

Best regards,

   Kurgan                       mailto:Kurgan at Fastmail.fm