P&Pv2, design questions (to Richard)

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at MATRIXONE.COM
Thu Feb 5 16:10:11 CET 2004

I like the way randomness can generate interesting characters, but you can
get the situation where you have everyone with more-or-less average
characters, and one person who did well and has a "super" character that
owns everyone.  Or the alternate where someone rolls poorly and makes a
gimp.

Point based systems provide more evenness between players, but you can end
up with eveyone looking the same.

One compromise I proposed, back when I last ran P&P (short lived game, it
was fun enough, but we had two newbish players and all the math drove them
bonkers.  Priority one has to be to eliminate all the in-game monkey
makework math) was a "Karma" system.  Basically, when rolling their
characters they had the option of taking rerolls for base attributes
(unlimited, but you had to take the roll, not take the highest of that new
roll and what you had before), for determining multipliers, specials etc.
You gained 2 points of Karma if the reroll was a single die (d10, d6, d100),
and 1 point of karma if it was a bell-curve die (2d10, 2d6).

The purpose of the gained karma was to screw the character on good
rolls...basically, "bad karma" that had to be worked off in play (and you
had to take the lumps -- the karma burn would only apply if the roll was
meaningful, at my discretion).  When karma came into play the player had to
re-roll the dice she just rolled.  Obviously you only force this on a good
roll.

AT this time I was using my 2d10 system for skills, so to be objective about
it a Karma hit came about when you rolled doubles on your skill roll and
would have succeeded in your skill.  For magic and combat (which still used
perecentile), you had to re-roll if your die roll ended in a "1" (i.e. 01,
21, 41, etc).

I think one player had about 55 Karma at the start of the game, and after
the 4 or 5 sessiones we played had gotten it down to 50.  Most of the
rerolls didn't hurt too bad (a few cases of deadly/severe hits turned to
misses or shield hits), and one skill roll he REALLY wanted had to be
sacrificed to the karma god.

Burton Choinski
Principal Software Engineer, Quality Engineering
email: burton.choinski at matrixone.com

phone: 978-589-4089
fax:      978-589-5903

MatrixOne, Inc.
210 Littleton Rd.
Westford, Ma 01886
www.matrixone.com

The First in Intelligent Collaborative Commerce