Ensorcelled Items

Albert Sales drite_mi at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 9 13:55:14 CET 2004

   I like this. I've been trying to factor a way to deter the making of items. I've used a Will Cost (Reduction in current ability) equal to BMC + EL. It seems a little less harsh than permanently reducing Cast Ability for batteries, to me. I've also toyed with requiring the cost be paid in both cast ability and energy level, but that was a small deterant. I fully agree that a long-term effect for making items would be a great addition.  Whenever the factor of cost is multiplied, I had multiplied the cost of Will, as well. Just an idea.
   I have ALWAYS started batteries out at empty. They should not start full, else they be far too inexpensive to make. The all at once, I am not so certain about. Having a mage tied up for months to make a single item HAS kept my players from going overboard (slower regen when using mana, can't skip a single day).
   For battery regen, three ideas are: Trap a spirit with CL => EL of spell, LOSE 1 native Will per (EL+1) of spell (OUCH), or lose 1-2 current from I, W, and Em per (EL+1).

Alex Koponen <akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM> wrote:

Making a Mana Battery might require 10 + (2xEL) mana to cast plus (since
no second spell is listed unlike most Ensorcellments) mana equal to the
maximum storage capacity of the battery. All of this must be within the
creator's Casting Ability (perhaps modified by a staff or wand). Whether
one can recover any of the second cost is a question. Being strict and
stingy I would say that it is used up creating the Battery and the Battery
starts out completely uncharged.
If one puts a spirit or demon into the Battery for charging purposes
that would itself require spells for summoning, controlling and perhaps
caging the spirit or demon.