Skill resolution mechanics

Albert Sales drite_mi at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 26 21:04:54 CET 2004

I did a similar comparison before, myself. The table is close to an arithmetic sequence on some parts, and exponential in others.
   The solution is sound, but I see a slight twist. Instead of making the skill more like combat/magic, why not make combat/magic more like the skills.
   Both systems use 5 levels of success, so they are already parallel in that respect. The hardest dificulties should reflect the exponential factor shown on the combat table for severe and deadly hits. (7% for deadly and about 13% for severe iswhat I discovered, with an offset of -10 and +15, respectively from a base 10). The simple levels show as pretty arithmetic. A single table CAN be used to reflect this for skills and combat, and I have already worked on a lot of peicing together.
   Magic is the factor that does not fall into this group neatly, however it does fall in. The best 2 stages of magic are both success. The next two are failure, and the worst is abysmal failure. A similar exponential-arithmetic sequence comes close to fitting the magic table, after using this consideration, but with a slightly different offset and base.
   I tested an exponential table with my players, and they liked it (a lot). They said it was easy to read and use (two said easier, but I don't know if I agree with them). The key to a centralized table is finding a good rate, base, and off-set. If anyone is interested, I can try to dig the old tables out.

"Choinski, Burton" <Burton.Choinski at MATRIXONE.COM> wrote:

I'm not sure if we want to use the combat table (or even a combat-tableoid thing) unless it could be regularized in some way.

A while back I was doing some research on revamping the table (if you plot out the effectiveness curves (actual % per line for each level of success) in excel it looks real wierd).  I found that in going from some lines on the table to the next higher linn you actually LOST effectiveness (i.e lose 1% of severe to get 1% of normal, etc).  I had figured out a regularized table of percentages that, while not as "smooth" as the existing normal hit chance, it was more consistent.  In this case I actually figured out a power curve that fit the shield hit chance and modeled from there.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>

More information about the pnp mailing list