[PnP] Hello and a question

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Wed Aug 2 04:01:46 CEST 2006

At 10:01 PM 7/31/06, Franklin Robertson wrote:
>Well I think that people look at all the formulas and feel as if the character creation is a daunting task...kind of like what a 9th grader in pre-Algebra would think if given a book on quantum physics! What helped me out was that I took the rule book and a character sheet and I put in each information slot the outline number and page number the information could be found on. I think that, at least for me, when I first read the P&P I would quickly get lost in all the math that is needed to be done.  That of course was a long while back.  If you compare say, the BL's Warhammer 2nd edition (again, I prefer a more thinking rpg than what D20 has to offer even on a good day's worth of printing!) to that of P&P, Warhammer has the character information sectioned in distinguishable portions...a clear "how to role for main statistics" then "carreers" then the combat, et al. For P&P's Book One, Character Book, someone just picking up the game for the first time, you see so many different charts and diagrams and analysis...there's so much there for creating such a unique character that one might if not careful, get lost. Now please understand that I dont think badly of P&P, I wouldn't have kept it all this time and play it when able to get players if I didn't like it, and I will clearly state that it is one of the best created roleplaying systems and world systems. Again, what helped me was to take a character sheet and jot down the page and section number that particular character information would be found.
>
>Then again, P&P was written in that golden age of roleplaying games when the creators of the games were trying to create something special and something that could be treasured by both Game Masters and players alike.other games I would suggest placing in that "golden age" opinion would be those like Arduin Grimoire, RuneQuest (original 1st and 2nd edition RQ), Lords of Creation, Warhammer, and those like that.sadly, as I see in the game stores and even in the bookstore I work at, all game companies want to do is hitch a ride on the D20 bandwagon and that really saddens me.  You just dont see a lot of on the shelf action for creative and exploring game systems like P&P. Of course I am probably preaching to the choir, but I would think there would be agreement with me.  Still, it is good thing that one can still find here and there over the net games like P&P and also find a community like this one to go along with the game system. Maybe the gods of the Perilous Lands will come forth and bring about a renaissance in games and we'll see P&P there on the shelf one day, kicking the D20 parrots off the shelf.  I can only hope!

Well like you said the Golden Age of rpgs are over.  Rpgs are in a Wane now and the dark ages have set in.  Only the true classics and ultra rich game companies can afford to continue rpg projects.  We must face some facts here that AH won't continue the game.  The chances of finding another company to publish is slim and nill as 1) the game system itself wasn't a huge one (though should've been in popular circles) and 2) if AH dropped it that's a bad negative sign for other companies.  Next we must face only Richard is a true game writer.  Yes we can do fan fiction and stuff like my ship project but by far we aren't professional in it.  He has the credit.  If anyone is to do a re-write it would be him.  Next We've talked about this for years now and nothing has happened.  Sadly unless someone steps up and starts the rewrite it won't be done.  Even if someone does and finds the time of that daunting task it won't be all appreciated.  Look at my posts I've added to pnp via my ship stuff - so far no one has commented on them.  That's fine.  But what I do someone else will argue and not like.  To satisfy each person would be a very daunting task.  Don't mean to be a party pooper here but just reality.   I think pnp is fine as is.  Granted the edges could be expanded like supplements to rules but the core rules are fine for me.  Course if someone did rewrite I'd be tehre to support it.  to Organize usch a monster would take a few years.  then it would hav eto be self published likely or web published.  If folks want we could pool our money and get Richard to quit his job and hire him full time to redo pnp?  Any takers? :)

>And yes I'd be interested in the P&P play by email.

Check out the the game website
www.funport.net/longshot/pbem
The top 10 or so links will give you some info.  Check out some random links to see the style of the game.  If your still interested email me privately and we'll go forward.  For Adventure #3 theres a few ways folks can join.  It does require a bit of time and dedication though.  Adventure #1 lasted 6 years #2 about 10 months and is almost over.  :)
#3 might be even shorter.