[PnP] Hello and a question

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at matrixone.com
Mon Jul 31 14:18:50 CEST 2006

The major problem with P&P is that it is very math/formula heavy in
terms of the skill improvements and such.  Granted, me and my brother
and friends loved this aspect in the 80's when we picked up the game,
but people nowdays seem to be more time-constrained and the lean is
toward rules-lite or minimalist systems where a few core mechanics can
be used to resolve most of the tasks.  P&P is a bit wonky in that regard
as it seems to have a different mechanic for everything (form the newbie
point of view).

While we may enjoy the nit-picky fiddly bits, assuming the RPG
population doesn't finally get blanded away by the damned d20 crapola,
any sort of resurgence in new games will probably require a streamlining
rewrite of some sort. The trick is to have a set of mechanics that
retain the original P&P flavor.

_______________
Burton Choinski | Principal Software Engineer | ENOVIA MatrixOne
210 Littleton Road | Westford, MA  01886
Office: 978 589 4089 | Fax: 978 589 5903 | Cell: 508 843 7183
burton.choinski at matrixone.com
The information in this email and subsequent attachments may contain
legally privileged, proprietary and confidential information that is
intended for a particular recipient.  If you are not the intended
distribution, retention or use of the contents of this e-mail
information is prohibited. When addressed to MatrixOne clients or
vendors, any information contained in this e-mail is subject to the
terms and conditions in the governing contract.  If you have received
this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by telephone or by
return e-mail, and delete the e-mail.