[PnP] Hand to Hand

Björn Jansson vansinne at telia.com
Wed Aug 1 12:19:17 CEST 2007

Our group has not, even though we've changed a lot of other things. So why
answer? Well... Here's the reason why (or at least *my* reason):

Game Balance. P&P, like most games, do not take into account much more than
weight and protection of armour(s). In reality someone in full plate is at a
severe disadvantage against an single opponent because he has a hard time
moving around. Historically a lot of plate-wearing men have died at the
hands of non-armoured when they either lost formation or lost (light)
infantry support. In that way they where not much different from the tanks
of today.

So putting yet another advantage in the camp wearing plate by letting HTH
combatants take damage... it is a little to much for me.

What would be interesting is a solution a little like was done in
RoleMaster. There where two ways of HTH. Strikes and Sweeps/Throws. Strikes
where very ineffective against plate, but sweeps/throws where great. That
modelled the hardness of the plate but also modelled the awkwardness and
movement difficulties with plate.

/B

A recent combat aka kick via hand to hand got me thinking.  Has anyone done
up good HTH rules?  A person kicks another person say with plate armro.  His
boots.  We could assume his boots and his foot would take some possible
damage.

Anyone work up some rules for this?  If not I'll have to come up with some
later.