[PnP] noob questions part IV - Bride of Noob Questions

Dan Abbott dabbott68_bmd2 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 07:18:13 CEST 2007

"Paul L. Ming" <pming at northwestel.net> wrote:  > 2) When creating magic users, as they buy their initial spells, do
> they buy that at the "instructed" rate or the "alone" rate? Oddly, the
> book does not specify.
I give the player a choice. If he goes the "alone" path, then he has
studied on his own, or maybe had some kind of intuitive feeling for
magic, or was around a lot of spell casters when he was a child so he
had a head start on it. If he goes the "instructed" rate, then he has a
master/mentor from which he learned everything.
The difference: "alone" sets the character on his own. He has no
master to worry about, obey, or otherwise 'have to deal with'. So he
won't be summoned by his master to go on deadly quests, or on completely
boring and mundane ones. Additionally, he can choose any spell to learn
from his Path regardless of it's BMC (see below). If he chose
"instructed" then he has a master whom he still owes 'fealty' to. His
master will request certain tasks, items, etc. from the character, and
the character's reputation and his masters are linked; if his master
goes nutty and wipes out a town, he will likely become an outlaw as well
(or at least a highly suspected individual). Also, an instructed caster
has more limited choices in spells; he can only learn those that his
master has. I generally keep it simple, and say a master only allows his
apprentice to learn spells that have a BMC of no more than 1.5 (ru)
times the characters starting MEL. This includes the specific spells of
a 'group' spell (like Fire Powers, for example). So a MEL 3 character
could learn spells from his master that have a BMC of no higher than 5.
He could learn Travel Powers, but he wouldn't have the spell Interworld
Travel yet as it is BMC 10. Once he attained MEL 7, he would then be
able to add Interworld Travel to his list.

Paul L. Ming

I like your idea on involving the master.  It's something that hasn't come up in our campaign, but I'll have to keep it in mind for when I GM.