[PnP] Seeker And Other Films Through The P&P Lens

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Wed Dec 3 13:18:17 CET 2008

At 06:12 PM 12/2/08, you wrote:
>At first glance, I wasn't sure if you were talking about the film "The
>Seeker" or the TV series "Legend Of The Seeker"; I haven't seen either yet.
>The thread made me think of something I do all the time. I have a huge DVD
>collection and I re-watch my favorite films, particularly the
>fantasy-oriented ones, endlessly.
>In addition to general inspiration, I try to imagine placing the film's
>content in terms of P&P. Some of my favorites are Conan The Barbarian,
>Dragonslayer, Excalibur, The Beastmaster, The Dark Crystal, Krull,
>Ladyhawke; period films also that spark different kinds of inspiration for
>me include many, like Richard Lester's The Three Musketeers/The Four
>Musketeers/The Return Of The Musketeers, Elizabeth, Elizabeth: The Golden
>Age, Shogun, Braveheart, Rob-Roy; etc,etc,etc...
>I was curious to hear anyone else's favorites, and maybe what aspects of
>them draw similarities to P&P, or what might downright fit right in The
>Lands Perilous.
When the Seeker movie came out on Hbo last month I was planning on seeing it anyway.  Then I saw the behind the scenes stuff on a Seeker Series.  I was talking above in reference to TV series.  The movie was as far as I can tell totally opposite.  Young kid.  TV older guy maybe mid-20s.  I think its 2 distinct universes as plot is a bit different and may have been tweaked for the series.  But so far the TV series is the best for pnp fans.  The magic alone is something to awe at.  It may be hard to find but you can yahoo it on their tv guide or something.  Legend of the Seeker.

As far as movies you named all good ones though I vaguely recall Rob-roy....  I like fantasy movies but none have come too cose to pnp for me.  I suppose movie wise I'd have to say Hobbit, maybe lord of the rings.

TV series theres a few like Xena, Hercules and Seeker (teh best).  Oddly the same guy did all three.