[PnP] Enhancement limitations, new gems

Burton Choinski bchoinski at verizon.net
Sun Dec 7 04:25:52 CET 2014

Many of the natural magic items are pretty powerful, and it does not make sense (to me) that an EL0 is as good as an EL10 when it comes to enhancement (other than a better chance of success). My limits were just a guideline, and it obviously depends on the GM’s “feel” for the world.

In my current game, we have a house rule on permanent magics.  I borrowed the concept from rune quest.  Basically, for any magic that has no fixed duration (i.e. permanent or indefinite depending on conditions), the spell ties up 10% of the mana expended (round down) as a “piece of the soul” that keeps the spell alive.  Thus, if 50 mana is spent creating some sort of magical sword, while the sword’s magics remain active the Caster has 5 less mana.

This concept prevents the “magic item factory” problems that some players may want to get into.  In my game the players have managed to create and enchant armor that they are using, and they are obviously docked for soul cost.  They won’t be outfitting an army.

If the Caster dies, the items remain enchanted and retain their soul piece.