[PnP] called shots

Paul L. Ming pming at northwestel.net
Wed Jul 23 05:45:08 CEST 2014

Hiya.

   Don't think it's ever really come up in my games. But, after a minute
of thought...

   Require "multiple equal-hits"? Maybe 3 Deadly's to decapitate, 1
Deadly and then a Deadly/Severe after that, or maybe just "two Severe
hits" to get an arm or leg? On top of that, I'd make sure the weapon in
use could actually *do* what the player wants (re: decapitating a giant
with a dagger isn't going to happen...ever...the dagger is just too
small to be able to do that).

   I'd likely not boil it down to 'location' shots; I'd use my old stand
by system of "target size". In other words, you don't target "the
neck"...you target a 5" area. If you are the same size, off you go with
whatever modifiers you need. If you are smaller, higher penalties; if
you are larger, higher penalties (yes, penalties for both...people get
used to 'hitting' certain sized opponents and things....too big or too
small and the hand/eye coordination gets all wonky; try writing your
name on a wall, standing far enough away so you're hand just touches
it...). So, shooting a giant in the eyeball would have modifiers for
distance and then specifics for hitting, say, a 3" area. "I shoot the
giant in the eye with my bow!" turns into "Ok, medium range (BL -6), +20
to hit his 3" eyeball...and three Deadly hits in a row. start
rolling...". Now, if the archer truly /is/ amazing, he can do it.
However, chances are that the archer will have to take out the giant to
old fashioned way; whittle way AHP's. Maybe the last shot that kills him
was "in it's eye". This is where description comes into the game. :) But
trying to just jump the que and go straight to "I cut it's head off!"?
hehe...don't count on it.

^_^

Paul L. Ming