[PnP] Magic users in P&P are as weak as AD&D magicians

Paul L. Ming pming at northwestel.net
Sat May 3 01:05:11 CEST 2014

Hiya.

  On a side note...

  Has anyone else implemented some sort of 'balancing factor' with
regards to wizards & armor? I did for my campaign, for all casters of
Mana *and* innate powers that duplicate/mimic "spells". It's simple; for
every AV point worn, the cost to cast goes up by that amount, squared.
So with AV1, +1 mana/EnL. With AV 3, +9 mana/EnL. I ignore all magical
bonuses to AV...only the "flat, non-magical AV of average armor" is used
(so having AV 5 Chain still only counts as AV 3.

   I played with other variants...AV as a -1 to EL per AV, and 5% per AV
chance of any failure automatically being Abysmal, etc. In the end, I
liked the "AV squared as extra Mana"; simple and no extra dice rolling.

   I let priests cast spells *without* this extra MP drain, but _only_
when they are not in a rushed/combat situation (e.g., if casting a spell
in combat, they pay extra; after the battle, with no more threats,
casting doesn't cost extra). This gave the MU/Priest spell's an ever so
slightly different flavour.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

PS: As to the original "P&P wizard = weak"...the opposite is what I've
found. P&P wizards (spells, basically) are easily on-par with AD&D ones
at a minimum....usually they are FAR more powerful in my experience.