[PnP] Magic user balancing

Alex Koponen akoponen at mosquitonet.com
Sat May 3 05:34:04 CEST 2014

I do consider magic users overpowered in P&P.

The balancing factor that I implement in my game is to make it more
dangerous to cast spells. It does require more paperwork for the GM.
I thought that I had put it on the website, but I just found out I hadn't.

Unless the character has mana sensing they aren't told what their
current casting ability and energy levels are. These are kept track of
by the GM.
Each spell is rolled in secret by the GM, with an extra die roll if the
spell is not a success.
If the roll is success, congratulations the spell is a success. Standard
costs and effects apply.
If the roll is an abysmal failure then the usual penalties apply.
If the spell is a failure then reroll:
         reroll a success = the spell is a normal failure. As per the book.
         reroll a failure = normal failure + lose a point of energy from
EnL and lose an additional 1d6 or BMC+EL (whichever is lower) mana
points as if cast.
         reroll an abysmal failure = lose 1d10 from EnL and lose 1d6 +
BMC+EL mana points as if cast.
Note that if mana points are too low one completes the spell casting
from their EnL. If EnL gets to 0 the character is dead and unresurrectable.

I do allow wizards to wear armor.

         Alex Koponen