[PnP] Movement rates

Scott Adams longshotgm at comcast.net
Fri Jul 24 03:31:49 CEST 2015

This bothered me way back in '80s.  We had many many days talking or
yelling abou tit :)

I believe I wrote a program years ago to analyze this (before
spreadsheets existed - though lotus 123 did)

I can't recall the figures.  But if you change one factor you change
them all from ground up.
We figured one must go from the snail to the cheetah and come up wiht
a bell curve..bleh bleh..boring stuff.

It was difficiult but we figured it was easier to stay as is.
The normal MR is normal straight line.  Other factors like terrain,
health and such are factors.
Can one assume 30 feet in 1 phase is fine from one point ot another?  ok.
How about downhill no it hsould be faster then by gravity.
How about uphill.  Slower.  Logic says.
A gm should take this all into account.  This is what i do.  The part
of MR I take into account is ohter actions.  Drwaing swords, opening
a door, moving past a cabinet...

All these will change the final distance.

Star Trek RPG which I run uses AP Action Points.  A simple system I
use in a way like pnp.  It is not documented but all in my brain.

A GM has to determine this all.

Two men 200 pounds Walks across a yard.
Who is faster though teyh have same MR/A?
Well what if one is 200 all fat.  One 200 is all muscles and
lean.  That should be a factor as well.

A Giant being 7 foot is faster or slower?  Than a human.
Well maybe faster.  Only because their gait is wider.  So he might
get tired but he migt beat a human in short walks.  But lose in long distance.