[PnP] Familiar/Binding

Scott Adams longshotgm at comcast.net
Tue Jan 31 22:00:53 CET 2017

At 08:44 PM 1/26/2017, you wrote:

>The following answers/opinions are all based on V1 because..well,
>that's what I still use, so it's what I'm most familiar with.I
>assume of V1 can do it, V2 probably can.

You don't use v2 at all eh? Like Richard always told us ignore what
you want.  I think the fixes at the very least are worth it.  The new
monsters, new spells done by Richard (and some by me) but by Richard
at least are worth it.

> >1) Familiar - Ala Black Cat/Witch.  Classic.  Aside form Witchcraft
> >having a Imp Familiar there is little rules on it.
> >What if a wizard wants a cat? A owl? Sure there are Tonah rules and
> >pets like Firesnake.  But has anyone come up with Familiar rules?
>
>Book 4,page 32, the Familiar item. It's a summoning device keyed to
>a specific being. Summonable beings, of course, which limits choices
>a bit, but if you want a normal animal, Tonah are summonable and
>boosted versions of normal animals. Assuming the maker learns a
>decent level of Summons aligned to Shamanic Elder, of course. If
>not, there are plenty of other options.

Yeah I saw the item.  To me a Familiar is  the classic black cat
style.  The young witch with her cat.  Who rides broom to help her
focus her powers.  But translating that to pnp will neeed work.  To
me Tonah are just glorified companions.  But a familiar should be a
focal point.  So if said pal is missing its more distracting or
normal level.  But if around then maybe  a boost somehow.  What kind
I've not thought of yet.
The summoned item is easy to make so it kinda defeats in a way a
familiar that is always there.

> >2) Binding - Stormbringer leecher of life.  Life Sword? If i recall
> >that sorta had something like it.  We do have rules (though I can't
> >reclal directly since books not handy) on adding Intellect to like a
> >Suit of Armor to make a automaton guard.  A smart broom to clean
> >up.  But what about direct binding?  Add a demon to a sword like
> >stormbringer to leech life?
> >

>Actually, that's exactly how it's done. Last paragraph of the Soul
>Daiva page 51 of Book 3. But it's energy it drains, equal to the
>damage done. Converting it to hits would simply require a Healing
>spell added to the sword, with a Ward Pact to cast it whenever there
>is any absorbed energy. That will keep the bearer healed up while he
>has opponents to damage.

YEah. Mechanics is easy.  But for Wizardy not
Shamanic/Priests.  Aside from perm magics there is no binding method
directly.  Sure one cna say place intellect.  But that's just making
the sword smart.  Binding is actually trapping say a Vampire or
Succubus or if you like them a Goblin  THen storing that critter in a
item.  Perm magics do have the basics but they need to refine it thus
my question on if anyone like Burton (who does tons of rules) refined
it for this purpose.  For
1) Allowing said bindng to appear/be used but tricky part is
recapturing it.  Genie/Lamp method.
2) Allow bound critters powers remain trapped and powers used.

For 1 it would have to be control say a thing critter must abide
by.  Hmm.. I thik i have some ideas.  Will see what others say.

> >Or use a ring to hold a demon you can fling out and capture
> >again?  Shamans and Priests have magic for holding/trapping things
> >like spirits.  But not wizards if i recall.
>
>Well, the Familiar item from Book 4 can do this, too. You just have
>to make each item for a specific being. Much Like the original Elric
>rules, actually, except that it's an actual summons each time,
>rather than just a use of the critter's powers (which was how Elric
>faked traditional magic using their summons system).

Well to me that's just a bound item not really familiar.  If it goes
away then its summoning. Think of necromonicron (sp) from Ash.  it
summons easily but doesn't let it be familiar.

>But it you want something that can trap a creature repeatedly,
>rather than just give control over a specific creature, all I see is
>Spirit Cage. Assuming you can get a Shaman or Druid (or Natural
>Mage) to Enchant a small wicker cage (probably gilded or plated for
>durability) with the spell permanently, that's possible, too.
>Obviously this version would be quite rare.

YEp.  There is a priest spell if i recall.  But Wizards's need the
same system.  Maybe a new perm magic?  Binding Ritual or something?
hmmmm  Make it very expensive though.

>You'd probably want a Command spell added to the second type, simply
>to have a chance to get the same critter back. That means each item
>would be most useful against a specific Alignment, and not as much
>against others.

Good now that's a idea.  I hadn't thought of that one.
When work on update tomorrow I'll check this spell out again.  Not
used often so don't have it memorized.