Very quiet list

Choinski, Burt BChoinski at XSERV.BILLERICA-MA.PERITUS.COM
Mon Feb 9 15:49:02 CET 1998

Well, I'll still have to prune it to some degree.  While centaurs do
exist in the Creatures book, and one could extrapolate out a PC race,
there are no Ducks.  Fortunately, no Ducks exist as players right now (1
Centaur, 1 Human from Dirllar, 1 Human from Caldo).

One major difference is definitly combat.  Since RQ uses hit locations,
it is possible to disable enemies with
a little bit of damage.  Players don't get masses of HP -- the most I
have in my group is about 17, and larger
creatures are truely dangerous.  On saturday, the group was travelling
up the road to Djanisborg and they got an encounter with Great Apes.  I
had not converetd them yet, so I used the "gorillas" in the RQ creature
book.

Now, these gorillas have 36 HP -- one of their "whollops" does 4d3
damage.  If they managed to grapple on and squeeze they would do 4d6 (!)
damage.  Unlike a beefy P&P character which could be on a par
(hitpoint-wise)
with the apes, these characters have reason to fear them.

So, when they apes attacked I had one big one and two normal ones (I
didn't want to kill of the party in the first
game :) -- Fortunatly, the priestess put one of them to sleep (well, her
allied spirit did -- she cowered in the wagon)
and the centaur, the other human PC and the 4 NPC soldiers guarding the
wagon managed to take out the others.

There was no severe damage, but it did chill them a bit -- Combat is
dangerous.  This may change a few attitudes with my brother and friends
when they play (I'm going to have 2 groups running).  Before they would
wade into combat and lop heads with nary a trouble (high skill and CEL
is tough to beat).  Now, they have to be a bit more cautious.  Also,
having some sort of magical backup will be very useful.

Overall, with this combination system, the Perilous Lands are much more
Perilous.

Now, this first group is not due to play again until the 28th, my other
group will play on the 21st.  Over the next three weeks I will probably
be working up the Djanisborg area, perhaps even make a detailed map for
it like I did the Ma'helan area.  I'll probably be at least posting the
population data tomorrow.

In a side note, I JUST found my old, old old pages on construction
costs.  Looking it over it seems like it may have been made for RQ, but
I will see about doing a conversion tonight to P&P terms.
        -- Burton

Burton Choinski, Peritus Software Services Inc.
bchoinski at peritus.com