Spell list, tangent

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Sun Nov 12 00:41:26 CET 2000

At 11:37 AM 11/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
>In a somewhat related topic, A while ago I had considered trying to figure
>out the "rules" behind the spells (if something like that is even possible).
>The idea was to be able to have casters create spell variants based on
>spells they already know.
>
>One way to possibly do it is to exchange EL's in different areas.  Obviously
>GM control does need to be in there, but as a general rule it should be
>treated as a "lossy" exchange...1 EL of effect up in one area in exchange
>for 2 EL down in another (or 1 EL down in two others).
>
>Example: Joe Pyrowizard has developed a new vesrion of Fireball for his
>personal use, called the "Firestorml".  In thus case, it does more damage
>but has less range.  Damage gets the +1 EL.  Since Rnage and duration in
>this spell are linked, BOTH get the -2 EL.  Obviously, he cannot cast this
>spell variant, due to it's inefficient use of mana, until he is at least EL
>2.
>
>At EL5 in this spell, he will do 7d10 damage, but epeed is only 4 and range
>is only 8.
>
>Variants are learned like other spells, and raised individually.
>
>Again, GM scrutiny of the variant is critical, and gotchas like the above
>example's linked attributes have to be looked for.
>
>If anyone comes up with good variants, perhaps a new spell name. description
>and statistics can be written up, for ease of use by later players and GMs.
>:)
>
>"We have that wizard now...his spell should have worn off. Charge!  *woof*"
>     -- Burton

I've taken each variant on a per basis.  I think I've had only 5-6 spell
variants.
Including a form of fireball that when sent out stops at the target and
explodes two ways
into a arc and surrounds the target and depending on duration and other
factors
slowly
moves inward.  I think the wizard called it the ArcBall or something really
wacky :)
I don't think a serious step by step system can be done to make new variants.
Its
just too subjective up to the player and GM.  But nowadays if I did it I'd
take
into some
account a form of programming I do now taking object oriented program into the
gaming
world where you have objects and from that object inherit another object
and it
gets
all the properties and values of the parent object.  I'd do it a bit more
formal than I did
years ago where I did like your example above took a bonus and a negative to
offset
the change.  Usually the players wanted flair to their spells.  Not much
variabiations but
instead of saying a red/normal fire fireball it might be green or blue flame.
Instead of
a firedart that might look like a small blob dart the player asked for a arrow
formation
and a bit longer.  Just semantic stuff rather than damage and such variation.