[PnP] Powers and Perils Rights

Adaen of Bridgewater adaen at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 17 03:26:56 CET 2004

You might also look into "Fractal Mapper" from NBOS. They are the chief competitor with Profantasy's CC program.

As an aside, I lurk here very actively (I follow all of the messages). I've only actually played P&P once and I did enjoy it a lot. I have been tinkering with my own homebrew system off and on again for ~20 years. Recently, I've gotten rather serious with codifying it and writing it up for the use of others.

As a part of my design efforts, I've done a lot of research (and purchasing on ebay) of older fantasy systems, including P&P. Here are my findings in a nutshell, I hope they are of some use for this revision project:

Powers & Perils is a complicated game by pretty much any measure. The organization of the rules needs to be improved a *lot* considering its level of complexity. The current format of the rules is their chief failing as it generates lack of interest from potential players. Here's a quote from a fiend of mine (you read that right):

"I'm glad P&P was not the first game I was exposed to, or I wouldn't have delved deeper into gaming". Said friend is very intelligent (multiple science degrees, MD, academic research) and (more importantly) is an active game designer. He's played lots of complex systems to boot.

The take home message here is that regardless of any rules-changing-efforts, the main goal needs to be rules-explaination. The presentation of the rules was the chief stumbling block for the game; not the content....which was brilliant. Thanks for listening to my rant.

-Adaen of Bridgewater

P.S. Has anyone experience with the Atlantis system or any Conan products?

"Choinski, Burton" wrote:

I used "Canvas" to do my maps, but admitedly it is not the best for real good maps.

I'm wondering if it might be worth a redo of the map using CC (Campaign cartographer), assuming it has the ability to break a map into pages, and put hexagons on it.  A lot of the map edges don't line up, and it might be nice to get a consistent coloring/symbolic map book.

It also has the advantage of being able to be offered a "goodie" to purchasers of the electronic/CD version.  It would allow GM's to make quick local "zoomed in maps".  Same for us, if you could zoom inon a few hexes and this put in greater detail for adventures.