[PnP] Re: Navigation Woes

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at matrixone.com
Mon Oct 2 03:26:30 CEST 2006

>>In my experience one gets lost when one doesn't have access to a
>>reference point (sun, mountain, etc.). Those with no navigation skill
>>and minimal or no survival skill may disregard potential reference
>>points. Anyone (even the most skilled) without reference points can get
>>lost. Those with higher navigation and survival skills will be more
>>alert to seeing and keeping track of reference points.

That is what I envisioned this use of Navigation -- Higher skills indicate a better use of natural references or perceptive use of fixed objectives in order to maintain a constant direction.

And again, I wanted to give navigation some bite.  In past games players thought nothing of cross-country treks through open wilderness, expecting to end up exactly where they planned.  The intent was to put a little uncertainty in there, at least for those who have no reason to be sure of their paths (low Nav).

>>I am not sure what you mean by Navigation skill. Are you talking about
>>skill with using a sextant, compass, timepiece and spherical
>>trigonometry and using those items to calculate a specific longitude and
>>latitude? If so, the iron age tech of P&P may well not be up to the
>>task...especially concerning timepieces. The other items would be
>>expensive and bulky.

I figured hair-shirt navigation.  Sun, stars, and visual references.

>>Are you talking about familiarity of landscapes within 20 miles x EL?
>>Do you suggest making it a different skill for land than for sea?
>>Would an Area Knowledge - Geographic (locale) be the appropriate
>>skill(s)? If so would it use the same skill progression as Navigation?
>>Can one buy it for multiple locales?

I thought navigation had to be bought seperate for Sea navigation.

And yes, I would say that AK - Geo specific to the area would allow you to ignore the Nav matrix...you know the area.  I'm not sure how much area AK would allow (perhaps something on the order of EL/2 or EL/10 if an "or 80" in hexes of radius from a chosen hex.)

In my experience one gets lost when one doesn't have access to a
reference point (sun, mountain, etc.). Those with no navigation skill
and minimal or no survival skill may disregard potential reference
points. Anyone (even the most skilled) without reference points can get
lost. Those with higher navigation and survival skills will be more
alert to seeing and keeping track of reference points.

Despite knowing that moss grows higher on the side of the tree trunk
away from the equator (the sun dries it out more on the other side) I
would be hard pressed to point closer than 15 degrees off, if in some
random point in the forest on an overcast or cloudy day I was told to
point in a specific compass direction.