[PnP] how virgin is virgin enough?

Wout Broere broere at powersandperils.org
Tue Feb 10 21:38:02 CET 2009

Even now I can't wait till this is finished. I expect it to be in line
with your other economic stuff, so the detail will be fabulous.

With the risk of sounding like Scott: how about including prices for
magic items also (big, big grin).

;>

Wout

Burton Choinski wrote:
> [...]
>> So badly failed objects would be risky to bring back but possible.
>>
>> But remember any of this is setting part of the magic economics of the
>> game and should be checked carefully!
>>
>> There already exists unbalance in the economics.
>> Large metal items are much harder to make than small ones.
>> Wood or Leather items are easiest to make.
>> Thus your small amulets and various other items can be made quickly
>> and
>> cheap.
>> But major armors require much more time and materials even though the
>> magic used may be the same.
>> You may wish to set the skill check needed for enchantable works
>> high to
>> limit the junk magic.
>> Of course some decide certain rituals are needed and thus set more
>> effort for all magic creations.
>> Nothing wrong with that, its just house rules setting the economic
>> factors again.
>>
>> Item costs should figure some factor for that labor as well as the
>> magic
>> and Mages should not work cheap.
>> So much per day plus so much per mana used plus expenses seems fair.
>> Note that mana and labor costs will go up based on Mel or other such
>> factors, so you pay much more for higher quality work.
>>
>> If anyone has a pricing guide for regular items, I can try to fit a
>> formula to them that follows such rules.
>> I have been wanting to work it out but never settled on a good price
>> range.
>>

>> Alex Koponen wrote:
>>> As both GM and player (with enchanter) I play that only the last
>>> stage
>>> of manufacture from raw materials is necessary for one to be able to
>>> enchant it. As GM I would give minor bonuses to those who
>>> competently do
>>> the earlier stages as well.
>>>
>>> Example A: Enchanter cannot enchant boots that were made by another
>>> bootmaker or even from leather precut and marked by another
>>> bootmaker,
>>> but can enchant boots he makes even though copying another
>>> bootmaker's
>>> pattern and using leather bought from the tanner, butcher or
>>> slaughterhouse...he doesn't need to raise, kill, skin and tan the
>>> leather himself...though I would give minor bonuses if he did so. I
>>> would give slightly bigger bonuses for the closer stages, in this
>>> case
>>> tanning than for skinning, etc.
>>>
>>> Example B: I would allow a minor bonus to an enchanter using raw
>>> ore to
>>> make the iron and steel of a weapon or armor. I would also allow the
>>> enchanter to roll with no bonus or penalty should he be working from
>>> pigs of iron bought from a source that was iron ore. I would impose a
>>> penalty of a small chance of automatic failure of enchantments if the
>>> item was made from scrap that might include some material that was
>>> either already enchanted by someone else or had previously failed
>>> enchanted/enhanced/ensorcelled. If the scrap did include such then