[PnP] pnp Digest - Vol 145; suggested Issue 2: Expertise rules

Bessie Hadley eleabess at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 8 10:17:06 CET 2019

Hello members,

I need some information/verification about the amount of expertise points (both magical & combat)  that could/can be gained with one month of training time. This concerns the 3rd volume of my P&P book trilogy that I'm currently writing. There is a one-month time break between volumes two & three, which is used by our heroes for research (by Scholars mainly) & training by all. Skills worked at involve learning/improving a language, various job & combat skills, and magical training with a teacher. All magical training is with a teacher, the other skills vary as to whether an instructor available or not.

Here is my question that I need information from you folks about:

How many expertise points can one earn in 30 days of training/study/practice? I am figuring 8 hours/day, 5 days/week of training - that's a total of 40hours/week x 4 weeks = 20 days (160 hours) to gain expertise points. That would mean 1 expertise point/day, or two points under a teacher. Is that all I need to know to add the points to the skills I want improved? (I will split those points as needed for each PC.)

I think I just answered my own question - LMAO!

Anyway, if you have additional suggestions, or disagree with my summary above, would you please note it here for me? (If it interests anyone - lol)

I follow game rules closely, although I do allow myself an author's creative license. I have been keeping my characters' experience points up-to-date through book 2, so just need to add in the extra skill points for the start of book 3's initial contacts involving combat or magic.

Thank you so much for your support & experience! It has meant a lot to me since I started this project.

P.S.: My 3rd book involves dragons (plural). And a hint to you all - I have always liked books with friendly dragons. So don't think I'm stodgy about all this - I want to have fun; that's why I'm writing these stories.

Bess L. Hadley